| NAY, smile not at my sullen brow; | |
| Alas! I cannot smile again: | |
| Yet Heaven avert that ever thou | |
| Shouldst weep, and haply weep in vain. | |
| And dost thou ask, what secret woe | 5 |
| I bear, corroding joy and youth? | |
| And wilt thou vainly seek to know | |
| A pang ev’n thou must fail to soothe? | |
| It is not love, it is not hate, | |
| Nor low Ambition’s honours lost, | 10 |
| That bids me loathe my present state, | |
| And fly from all I prized the most: | |
| It is that weariness which springs | |
| From all I meet, or hear, or see: | |
| To me no pleasure beauty brings; | 15 |
| Thine eyes have scarce a charm for me. | |
| It is that settled, ceaseless gloom | |
| The fabled Hebrew wanderer bore; | |
| That will not look beyond the tomb, | |
| But cannot hope for rest before. | 20 |
| What Exile from himself can flee? | |
| To zones, though more and more remote, | |
| Still, still pursues, where-e’er I be, | |
| The blight of life—the demon thought. | |
| Yet others wrapt in pleasure seem, | 25 |
| And taste of all that I forsake; | |
| Oh! may they still of transport dream, | |
| And ne’er, at least like me, awake! | |
| Through many a clime ’tis mine to go, | |
| With many a retrospection curst; | 30 |
| And all my solace is to know, | |
| Whate’er betides, I’ve know the worst. | |
| What is that worst? Nay do no ask— | |
| In pity from the search forbear; | |
| Smile on—nor venture to unmask | 35 |
| Man’s heart, and view the Hell that’s there. |
Disponível em https://www.bartleby.com/205/8.html>. Acesso em 16/10/2018.

No comments:
Post a Comment